North Oakland Temporary Museum Annex

Sunday, March 18, 2007

Curse & Carts, 1960

So this exhibit is loosely about sports, though why I was so obsessed at this young age with, of all things, golf and archery, is beyond me. The golfer above seems to be cursing, possibly at the young men who are racing golf carts up & down the fairway just below the green on which his 9-foor downhill putt has just bounced out of the hole because his caddie didn't remove the flag.

I've only played golf maybe five times in my life. The most fun was at Steve Williams' "Trimmer's Invitational" in Denver in late 70's or early 80's. I thought I might have a shot at the worst golfer trophy when I shot a 72 on the front nine, but Steve had imported a ringer, his old friend Kirk, who'd been living in New Jersey.

Kirk had kept me alive during June of 1976 by buying me short-stacks at The Aristocrat Steakhouse in Boulder every morning. Kirk's girlfriend kept him & me alive by dropping off a raw chicken & a bottle of anisette every afternoon. Anyway it was good to see Kirk again but he "beat" me by two strokes. There's no real charm in being the "second-worst" golfer. We did race golf-carts & almost flipped one, which would have been a shame, because we were carrying two cases of Heineken bottles.

Golf & Trampoline, 1960

The golfer in the second drawing seems to have hooked his shot off the green onto a trampoline or into a backyard swimming pool, starling the man who is reading the newspaper or carrying a gift-wrapped bottle of Campari to the pool party.

Golf & Archery Couple, 1960

Here we hearken back to golf's origins in Scotland, land of funny hats. Apparently they used to have two-hole greens. And below there seems to be a bride attempting to arrange her own shotgun wedding to a man in a bowler hat who has the arrow facing the right direction but the bow not.