North Oakland Temporary Museum Annex

Friday, June 01, 2007

Scuba Diving Near the Ship, 1960

Kon-Tiki, 1960

The square-rigging & the scale have me convinced this is my version of Thor Heyerdahl's Kon-Tiki expedition. Being only 4 years old, I wouldn't have read his 1950 book yet (I did that in maybe 1966) but I probably saw the 1951 movie.

Arctic Snow Bus, 1960

I have always had a penchant for drawing similar types of conveyances, be they submarines, space ships, planetary exploration shuttles, Arctic half-tracks, etc. The scale of the vehicles is always important to me, as is the relative quantities & designs of windows within the larger structure. I get a strong feeling of security, thrill, empowerment & satisfaction from thinking about & drawing these types of mobile spaces. I believe this is very strongly related to issues discussed in this article by Arthur B. Evans on Jules Verne's "vehicular utopias" & is also related to the initial allure of proto-SUVs such as vintage Jeeps, Land Rovers & Toyota Landcruisers.